Sandra Alland's new chapbook of short fiction!
As part of its 40th Anniversary season,
Canada's Proper Tales Press has published
a collection of six of San's short stories.
For more information or to order, click on Books.
Click the player to watch or listen to San chat with Bea Webster about radical deaf inclusivity (4 parts). In BSL and English, with captions & voice-over. Commissioned by Sarah Hayden & John Hansard Gallery, 2020.
Sandra Alland is a writer, filmmaker and interdisciplinary artist.
A film by Sandra Alland & Ania Urbanowska
Sandra Alland with Bea Webster
San writes poetry, fiction, essays and criticism. Her work experiments with form, and focuses on feminist, queer and disabled politics/poetics.
Author of three poetry books, San co-edited the UK anthology, Stairs and Whispers: D/deaf & Disabled Poets Write Back. San's short stories have been commissioned by British Council and Comma Press, and Proper Tales Press has just published her second chapbook of fiction, Anything Not Measurable Is Not Real. Recent essays appear in The Bi-ble Volume 2 and Imaginary Safe House (HA&L/Frog Hollow). San was Guest Editor for Disability Arts Online for April 2020, producing a showcase of text and audio by LGBTQIA+ artists.
San directs documentaries and experimental poetry films. From 2015 to 2017 she was commissioned to co-curate, and co-create five documentaries, for DAO's Viewfinder project. In 2016-17, San's short story with film, Equivalence, featured live on-stage/-screen at Barbican, Edinburgh Filmhouse and Anatomy Arts. Her shorts have screened internationally at festivals including Entr'2 Marches (Cannes).
San curates independent film, performance and visual arts. Projects include Oska Bright/GSFF, BFI Flare, Edinburgh Filmhouse, The Theatre Centre (Toronto), and Scotland's accessible queer and trans arts project, Cachín Cachán Cachunga!
1. I'm delighted to have been Guest Editor for 17 pieces at Disability Arts Online in April 2020. All content is about and by LGBTQIA+ disabled and D/deaf artists! Audio versions are available as part of each piece, and as a collection on SoundCloud.
2. My four short films with Bea Webster, about radical D/deaf inclusivity, are free online. In BSL and English, with captions and voice-over.
3. My second chapbook of short stories, Anything Not Measurable Is Not Real, launched with Proper Tales Press in September 2019. Click Books for info or to purchase.
4. My essay 'My Arrival at Crip: Poetic Histories of Disability, Neurodivergence and Illness' appears in Imaginary Safe House (Frog Hollow Press/ HA&L, Victoria, October 2019). A free online text and audio version is available at HA&L.
5. My short story 'Personal Assistant' is available free online in The Deaf Poets Society. Read or listen free.
6. My essay: 'A Man, A Cane, An Awkward Title' appears in The Bi-ble: New Testimonials (Monstrous Regiment, Edinburgh, June 2019).
Click the player to watch 'Long Lost Lover', a poem written and performed by deaf poet, Bea Webster,
in BSL (British Sign Language) and English.
Captioned; transcript and version with audio at link.