Sandra Alland's new chapbook of short fiction!
As part of its 40th Anniversary season,
Canada's Proper Tales Press has published
a collection of six of San's short stories.
For more information or to order, click on Books.
Click the player to watch or listen to San chat with Bea Webster about radical deaf inclusivity (4 parts). In BSL and English, with captions & voice-over. Commissioned by Sarah Hayden & John Hansard Gallery, 2020.
Sandra Alland is a writer, filmmaker and interdisciplinary artist.
A film by Sandra Alland & Ania Urbanowska
Sandra Alland with Bea Webster
San writes poetry, fiction, essays and criticism. Her work experiments with form, and focuses on feminist, queer and disabled politics/poetics.
Author of three poetry books, San co-edited the UK anthology, Stairs and Whispers: D/deaf & Disabled Poets Write Back. Her short stories have been commissioned by British Council and Comma Press, and Proper Tales Press has just published her second chapbook of fiction, Anything Not Measurable Is Not Real. Recent essays appear in The Bi-ble Volume 2 and Imaginary Safe House (HA&L/Frog Hollow). San is Guest Editor for Disability Arts Online for April 2020.
San directs documentaries and experimental poetry films. From 2015 to 2017 she was commissioned to co-curate, and co-create five documentaries, for DAO's Viewfinder project. In 2016-17, San's short story peformance with film, Equivalence, featured on-stage/-screen at Barbican, Edinburgh Filmhouse and Anatomy Arts. Her shorts have screened internationally at festivals including Entr'2 Marches (Cannes).
San curates independent film, performance and visual arts. Projects include Oska Bright/GSFF, BFI Flare, Edinburgh Filmhouse, Disability Arts Online, The Theatre Centre (Toronto), and Scotland's accessible queer and trans arts project, Cachín Cachán Cachunga!
1. I'm delighted to be Guest Editor at Disability Arts Online for April 2020. From 30th March to 26th April, all content will be commissioned (or written) by me. And all of it will be from LGBTQI+ disabled and D/deaf contributors!
2. My new chapbook of short stories, Anything Not Measurable Is Not Real, has launched with Proper Tales Press! Click Books for info or to purchase.
3. Essay: 'My Arrival at Crip: Poetic Histories of Disability, Neurodivergence and Illness in T'karonto/Taranton/Toronto, 1995-2007' appears in print in Imaginary Safe House (Frog Hollow Press/ HA&L, Victoria, October 2019). Free online version with audio now available at HA&L.
4. Short Story: 'Personal Assistant' is available free online in The Deaf Poets Society, Issue 8. Read or listen.
5. Short Story: 'Water,logged' appears in print in Glasgow's Gutter #19, out now!
6. Essay: 'A Man, A Cane, An Awkward Title' appears in print in The Bi-ble: New Testimonials (Monstrous Regiment, Edinburgh, June 2019).
Click the player to watch 'Long Lost Lover', a poem written and performed by deaf poet, Bea Webster,
in BSL (British Sign Language) and English.
Captioned; transcript and version with audio at link.